Apple Walnut Bundt Cake
What is a bundt cake?
According to Wikipedia, bundt cakes’ distinguished feature is their shape. A bundt pan is used to bake this kind of cake. A bundt pan generally has fluted or grooved sides, but its most defining design element is the central tube or “chimney” which leaves a cylindrical hole through the center of the cake. The design means that more of the mixture touches the surface of the pan than in a simple round pan, helping to provide faster and more even heat distribution during cooking.
Bundt cakes are effortless to make. You don’t even have to add frosting on top because the pan takes care of making the cake look glorious. No decoration. No layers. It looks fancy but casual enough to serve on a regular day.
This is not the first time I’ve made one. First attempt was a disaster. I used a silicone flower shaped bundt pan and my cake got stuck. Luckily it wasn’t a cake order. Whew!
Lesson learned: Spray your bundt pan with cooking spray or butter and flour the pan to prevent sticking.
The second time was a good experience that led to third time. This time I made an Apple Walnut Bundt Cake. This cake is moist and delicious. The taste of honey is distinct. If you love apples in your cake, this is a keeper!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup apple sauce (substitute: 1 cup vegetable oil)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 3 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and applesauce. Beat in the eggs until light, then stir in the honey and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; stir into the batter just until moistened. Fold in the apples and nuts.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the crown comes out clean. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a plate or wire rack.